Based in Toronto, our client is a vertically integrated manufacturer of engineered industrial and automotive rubber and plastic products, supplying customers around the world, including distributors, converters, and OEMs in the automotive, industrial, construction, flooring, agricultural, and transportation industries. The company operates 3 manufacturing facilities in Toronto ON and also Ohio USA and you would hve responsibility for all 3. They derive a significant proportion of their raw materials from their own environmentally green recycling processes.
The Sr Controller will provide financial leadership as well as strategic and operational support and will be a key member of the Executive Management team. The Sr Controller will have primary day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial activities of the company. This will include direct hands-on responsibility for accounting, finance, cash management, forecasting, strategic planning, product costing, legal, property management, deal analysis and negotiations, investor relations and partnership compliance as well as private and institutional financing. The Sr Controller works closely with the VP Operations and the VP Sales & Marketing on all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to budget management, cost benefit analysis, forecasting needs and securing of new funding.
The Sr Controller has direct responsibility for a team of seven (7) in Toronto, including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Cost Accounting, OTS/Grant Administration and Human Resources and, in addition, has management responsibility for the finance and human resources team of the Ohio operation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepare financial forecasts, budgets, consolidation and reporting; ensure adequate liquidity to meet the organization's needs by actively managing banking and external financing activities; supervise Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivables, Cost Accounting, business insurance plans and health care coverage analysis.
- Develop short- and long-term financial objectives while providing timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial trends and forecasts to enhance financial performance and support new business opportunities and advise on the financial implications of business activities.
- Prepare all financial and fiscal reports, including organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, reports to shareholders and other financial partners on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Actively participate in the development and maintenance of accurate product costing to support sales efforts, continuous improvement activities and strategic product analysis.
- Develop and maintain effective internal controls to safeguard financial assets of the organization, ensure compliance with GAAP as well as applicable federal, provincial, state and local regulations; manage government grants and extended producer responsibility programs.
- Oversee all payroll activity for the organization and lead the design, implementation and timely calculations of wage incentives, commissions, and salaries for the staff; support the development of staff succession and growth plans.
- Coordinate and support activities of independent auditors, ensuring all audit issues are resolved, all compliance issues are met, and the preparation of the annual financial statements is in accordance with GAAP and federal, provincial, state and other required supplementary schedules and information.
- Support the Executive Management team in developing and implementing the organization's strategic vision, including fostering and cultivating stakeholder relationships among vendors/suppliers, customers, shareholders and government agencies as well as assisting in the development and negotiation of contracts.
- Support new business development by assisting the President & CEO and VP Sales & Marketing in identifying new business opportunities, preparing analyses/business plans and budgets, and determining attractiveness of prospective customers and new products
- Attend Board meetings, record and maintain minute books of Board of Directors.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of manufacturing accounting in accordance with GAAP.
- Strong working knowledge of manufacturing ERP, database and accounting/reporting systems and of general office software, particularly the Microsoft Office Suite and use of databases.
- 10+ years in progressively responsible financial leadership roles and management experience with the day-to-day financial operations of a multi-site manufacturing organization
- Treasury and financing experience within privately held companies.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization and with staff at remote locations essential.
- Strong problem solving and creative skills and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
- High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
- Bachelor's degree and/or master's degree in accounting/finance/business.
CMA, CGA or Chartered Accountant (CA) designation required.
This job is an exceptional opportunity for a strong candidate to immediately get involved and make an impact.