CARIBBEAN DEVELOPMENT BANK
COORDINATOR, RENEWABLE ENERGY/ENERGY EFFICIENCY
Below is the Opportunity Profile for the position of Coordinator, Renewable Energy/Energy Efficiency in the Renewable Energy/Energy Efficiency Unit in the Projects Department at the Caribbean Development Bank (
CDB). The profile consists of a description of the job, the qualifications and competencies required, and a brief description of the Bank.
Before you proceed to apply, please consider the following requirements:
1. You must be a national of one of CDB’s member countries.
2. You will be required to produce evidence of any educational and professional qualifications to support your application if you are selected for an interview.
3. All appointments are subject to satisfactory background checks and references. Additional information on this requirement is enclosed.
CDB is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex or religion. In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the following items:
i) A cover letter addressed to the Director, Human Resources and Administration outlining how your experience and qualifications match the profile described; and
(ii) A résumé indicating nationality, and including the names and contact information (telephone numbers and e-mail addresses) for four persons who know you and your work well enough to comment on your suitability for this role.
CDB fully respects the need for confidentiality of information supplied and assures you that your background and interest will not be discussed with anyone including references, without your prior consent.
Please submit your résumé online, as indicated on the CDB website, with the required information in Microsoft Word (
.doc or .docx) format, in English. The deadline for submission of applications is May 29, 2018 at 23:00 hrs EST.
We thank you for your interest.
The Caribbean Development Bank (
CDB/the Bank) is seeking to recruit a dynamic professional to assume the role of Coordinator, Renewable Energy/Energy Efficiency in the Renewable Energy/Energy Efficiency Unit in the Projects Department. The successful candidate will be based at CDB’s headquarters in St. Michael, Barbados.
ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
CDB is a regional multilateral development bank which was established in October 1969 to contribute to the harmonious economic growth and development of the member countries in the Caribbean Region and to promote economic cooperation and integration among them, having special and urgent regard to the needs of the less-developed members of the Region. CDB began operations in January 1970 and has become a leading catalyst for providing development financing, technical assistance and policy advice to its Borrowing Member Countries (BMCs) for the reduction of poverty.
CDB’s member countries are Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Brazil, the British Virgin Islands, Canada, the Cayman Islands, Colombia, Dominica, Germany, Grenada, Guyana, Haiti, Italy, Jamaica, The People’s Republic of China, Mexico, Montserrat, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, the Turks and Caicos Islands, the United Kingdom and Venezuela.
CDB is committed to the objectives of sustainable development in all of its dimensions. It promotes the achievement of inclusive growth and supports initiatives that strengthen BMCs’ resilience to external economic shocks and the effects of natural hazards and that address gender equality, poverty reduction and inequality and environmental sustainability.
CDB adheres to the highest standards of integrity, ethics, compliance, transparency and accountability with zero tolerance for fraud, corruption, money laundering, financing of terrorism and similarly corrosive conduct. CDB also works to ensure that the projects it finances do not cause environmental or social harm.
The Renewable Energy/Energy Efficiency Unit (
RE/EE Unit) is responsible for establishing Renewable Energy/Energy Efficiency (
RE/EE) as a cross-cutting theme in CDB and ensuring that opportunities are created for the inclusion of RE/EE components in the Bank’s projects and for the development of RE/EE projects in the pipeline of CDB. The Unit, managed by the Coordinator, Renewable Energy/Energy Efficiency(
Coordinator, RE/EE), provides an integrated approach and strategic leadership of the RE/EE initiatives.
The Coordinator, RE/EE reports to the Director, Projects Department. The Coordinator, RE/EE is accountable for developing the RE/EE Function within CDB, including proposals for an appropriate organisational framework for CDB to play a leadership role in the sub-sector within its Borrowing Member Countries (
BMCs), and the building of a sustainable pipeline of RE/EE projects.
The Coordinator, RE/EE is required to:
1. Lead the efforts on behalf of the Bank in undertaking initiatives and investments in the RE/EE Sector.
2. Prepare Work Plans and Budgets to support the deliverables outlined in the Energy Sector Policy and Strategy.
3. Build the Bank’s pipeline of RE/EE projects by:
(i) Identifying RE/EE public and private sector investment opportunities in BMCs;
(ii) Collaborating with Division/Unit Heads on inclusion of RE/EE initiatives in projects and internal capacity building activities in RE/EE;
(iii) Reviewing potential RE/EE project proposals and providing guidance on actions required for project development; and
(iv) Managing the effective use of internal resources for project development and supplementary external resources, where appropriate, including specialist resources for development of private sector projects and/or public–private partnership type financing modalities.
4. Develop and streamline the lending product with development financial intermediaries (DFIs) for RE/EE lines of credit and other financing support for micro, small and medium enterprises and build DFI capacity to grow their RE/EE line of business.
5. Develop a long-term programme to support the expansion of CDB’s work in the energy sector and collaborate with external partners on potential projects/programmes in the RE/EE sub-sector.
6. Ensure the cost-effective use of financial and human resources of the Unit in keeping with the Bank’s focus on results based management.
7. Manage the performance of reporting staff, providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
The Coordinator, RE/EE must have the minimum qualifications outlined below and should demonstrate strong proficiency in the defined competencies.
Technical Grounding and Expertise
The successful candidate must have:
1. A post-graduate degree in Engineering, Economics, Finance, Business Administration or an Applied Science.
2. Directly related work experience including at least eight (8) years’ professional experience in the energy sector preferably with a sustainable energy (renewable energy or energy efficiency) focus and at least five (5) years’ experience of leading and managing a team of professional staff to achieve demonstrable results.
3. Sound knowledge of the latest developments and technologies in renewable energy and energy efficiency.
4. Familiarity with issues of sustainable development and climate change mitigation and adaptation.
The Coordinator, RE/EE must have:
1. Strong leadership and relationship-management skills with a proven track record of building and managing teams and creating an enabling work environment.
2. An exceptionally high ability to communicate effectively, sending clear and convincing messages to a diverse audience which includes executive management, the Board of Directors and government officials.
3. Sound knowledge of development issues, policies and strategies gained from practice. Broad knowledge of the products, services, and processes of a multi-lateral development bank.
4. Demonstrated capacity for innovative thinking in knowledge generation, dissemination, and use.
5. Strong business development and commercial orientation.
6. Excellent representational skills that will enhance the profile of the Bank.
Our people need to demonstrate a strong proficiency in a defined set of competencies. The competencies for this job level are:
Competencies and Definitions
Acting as a Champion for Change
Actively identifies problems and opportunities for change and implements solutions where appropriate. Maintains effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or the work environment; and supports people in their efforts to try new things.
Moves quickly to make decisions and commits to a clear course of action; comfortable making decisions based on partial information; willing to take risks in order to maintain momentum; shows a strong bias toward action.
Aligns day-to-day activities around broader organisational goals and objectives; prioritises resources based on the strategic objectives of the organisation; recognises and rewards people based on how their actions support the broader needs of the organisation.
Championing Customer Needs
Calls attention to issues that impact customer satisfaction; views situations from the perspective of customers; encourages people to think about customers when making decisions and develops and sustains productive customer relationships.
Consistently communicates with clarity and thoroughness to optimise audience understanding. Communicates information in a clear, concise, and timely manner. Demonstrates effective speaking and presentation skills.
Delivering High Quality Work
Critically reviews work processes to ensure quality; addresses problems that could impact quality; makes sure project deliverables and services meet all requirements and expectations; does not make the same mistakes twice.
Displaying Technical Expertise
Keeps his/her technical skills current; effectively applies specialised knowledge and skills to perform work tasks; understands and masters the technical skills, knowledge, and tasks associated with his/her job; shares technical expertise with others.
Driving for Results
Bottom-line oriented and pushes self and others to achieve results. Keeps current on project status; makes sure people are aware of project status and what they need to do to keep things moving; redirects project resources and activities to overcome setbacks; elevates project concerns to senior levels of leadership when appropriate.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT
This is a full-time position with the successful candidate being contracted on a two-year basis in the first instance, with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. A pension plan, life and medical insurances are included in the benefits package.