|Job Title||Communications Specialist|
National Nurses United
NNU is the nation’s largest union and professional association of registered nurses, and at the forefront of national efforts to transform the market-driven healthcare industry in the U.S. to a single-payer style healthcare system, along with rekindling the movement for progressive social change.
NNU is also well known for negotiating premiere collective bargaining contracts for registered nurses, for sponsoring the nation’s foremost safe staffing law, for organizing campaigns that have made it one of the fastest-growing unions in the U.S., and for innovative, award-winning political campaigns. NNU has 185,000 members in all 50 states.
This position is based in Oakland, Calif.
• Build broader awareness of NNU campaigns and increase the visibility of the work of the organization on a national and local level by planning and executing communications across all media platforms.
• Write press releases, blogs, magazine articles, brochures, flyers, and other organizational materials, as assigned.
• Develop materials and conduct media outreach for varied union and grassroots campaigns and projects.
• Conduct media outreach to promote organizational activities, as assigned.
• Plan and conduct social media campaigns.
• Build and maintain relationships with media/reporters.
• Develop strategic communication and marketing plans essential to supporting the goals and objectives of NNU campaigns.
• Report to and work under the direction of the NNU Communications Director.
• Five years experience in journalism, media relations with unions, political and/or social advocacy organizations or the equivalent.
• Two years experience in social media outreach and campaigns.
• A proven track record of acquiring national print, electronic, and online media coverage.
• Excellent verbal communications and writing skills
• The ability to communicate complex material in a way that is accessible to a broad audience.
• Proficiency with MS Office – word processing, access, spreadsheets.
• Familiarity with the healthcare industry, health care reform, social justice issues, and labor strongly preferred.
• Willingness to work hours and schedule as needed to complete projects and support organizational campaigns.
• Willingness to travel, as needed.
Excellent salary and benefits with a generous pension plan. Full family and domestic partner coverage.
Please submit resume, cover letter, and two writing samples by clicking the “Apply” button. Please be sure to fill out the online application form.
Please no calls.NNU is committed to Equal Opportunity, and considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We urge people of color and women, experienced communications specialists of all backgrounds, to apply.