Senior Optoelectronic Packaging Engineer
130-160k, attractive suburban Boston area location
Rudzinsky Associate’s (RA’s) client is a leader in the design, development and manufacture of photonic and optoelectronic components and subsystems for Defense, Aerospace, Life Science, CATV, telecommunication, and industrial markets. RA’s client’s lasers, detectors, modulators and integrated optical modules are recognized for high performance and reliability in challenging environments, and are used by market leaders worldwide.
To further our client’s growth, we are seeking an experienced Sr. Optoelectronic Packaging Engineer to join our ranks and lead development of a broad range of integrated photonics solutions for demanding Defense, Space, and Life Sciences applications. As a key member of a multidisciplinary development team, you will be responsible for specifying, designing, verifying, and implementing into production passive and active photonic devices as well as complex integrated photonic systems, ensuring successful introduction of new products and sustainment of established product lines.
The ideal candidate will have 10 years or more of relevant experience, including in controlled manufacturing and engineering settings; be experienced in opto-mechanical system design (including materials analysis) and development of fiber-coupled optoelectronic systems comprising integrated micro-optic benches and photonic circuits; have a track record of shepherding practical and innovative photonic solutions for Defense, Space, and/or Medical applications, from conceptual designs through prototypes and engineering and qualification builds, to volume manufacturing; and be able to work both independently and in a group (as an individual contributor and a lead project engineer).
The position is located in metrowest of the Boston area.
- Lead development of manufacturable fiber-coupled integrated optoelectronic devices and sub-systems through production as part of new product introductions and updates of existing product lines.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team comprising engineering, manufacturing, quality, project/product management, and marketing, to convert customer requirements into specifications and practical design and manufacturing documentation.
- Ensure optimal design approach and required product performance from the start, as well as smooth and timely integration of designs into extant manufacturing flows.
- Initiate and evaluate new design concepts and options and conduct design trade studies through modeling, simulation, analysis and prototyping to realize solutions that represent the optimal choice for performance, reliability, manufacturability, cost, and timeliness to market.
- Assist process development teams by providing required design and analysis data, as well as oversight and hands-on support in developing controllable and scalable assembly and integration methods.
- Support and lead failure mode and effects analyses, and propose and implement corrective actions, as appropriate.
- Prepare technical reports and applicable product and component documentation, such as requirements and specifications, design/ assembly drawings, build travelers, etc.
- Prepare technical presentations suitable for the targeted audience (from summary levels to detailed design review packages: PDR, CDR, etc.) and present the same to internal and external stakeholders.
- Assist in achieving overall corportate goals of our client by performing other duties as assigned within the parameters of the skill level for this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Must have at least five years of relevant industry experience developing integrated photonics solutions in controlled manufacturing and engineering environments; ten or more years of overall development experience is strongly preferred.
- MS/ MSc degree in Engineering or Applied Physics with concentration in optoelectronics, opto-mechanical engineering, optics, or related field is required; PhD degree in the aforementioned disciplines is preferred.
- Must have excellent working knowledge of electro-magnetic theory, Gaussian optics, guided optics, polarization optics, diffraction optics, and working principles of active photonic chip devices, such as semiconductor lasers and integrated optical modulators.
- Must have understanding of photonic material systems, assembly, integration and packaging principles, techniques, and processes.
- Must be experienced in opto-mechanical design of packaged multi-component micro-optic bench and photonic chip systems, with ability to conduct detailed performance tolerance analyses as a function of environment.
- Experience in the design, verification, and prototyping of photonic integrated circuits including in the RF (>20 GHz and up to 40 GHZ) is preferred.
- Must be proficient in the use of photonics design, modeling, simulation, and analysis tools, especially Zemax and SolidWorks; experience in the use of RSoft suite, OptiWave, and COMSOL is preferred.
- Proficiency in the use of RF/ microwave circuit design, modeling, simulation, and analysis tools such as Microwave Office or equivalent is preferred.
- Must be proficient in the use of computational and programming tools such as Matlab, C/C++, or Python.
- Must be proficient in the use of MS Excel; proficiency in MS Project is desired.
- Must be confident and comfortable both behind the computer and in the lab; must be experienced in both modeling & simulation and experiments, with hands-on attitude in supporting design verification and pilot production.
- Must be a team player.
- Must be a detail-oriented problem solver with good prioritization skills.
- Must have excellent written and oral communications skills and be an effective communicator in technical and non-technical settings.
- Experience working on government funded Space and Defense programs is preferred.
- Must be a United States Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident.